Here are the quotations for next week (May 9th to 15th):

1. '...Hark ye, Ben. Here is the sun going up to over-run and possess all Heaven for evermore. Therefore (Still, man!) we'll harness the horses of the dawn. Hear their hooves? "The Lord himself shall be unto thee thy everlasting light, and - " hold again ! After that climbing thunder must be some smooth check - like great wings gliding. Therefore we'll not have "shall be thy glory", but "And thy God thy glory!" ...'

2. ...Then he wrote, muttering:-
the little smoke of a candle that goes out.
...then with relief
the little smoke that dies in moonlight cold.
Evidently he was snared by the rhymes of his first verse, for he wrote and rewrote 'gold - cold - mould' many times. Again he sought inspiration from the advertisement, and set down, without erasure, the line I had overheard.
And threw warm gules on Madeleine's young breast.
...I found myself nodding approval ...

3. ... 'How is he chained?'
'With an iron band round his waist fixed to the bench he sits on, and a sort of handcuff on his left wrist chaining him to the oar. He's on the lower deck where the worst men are sent, and the only light comes from the hatchways and through the oar holes. Can't you imagine the sunlight just squeezing through between the handle and the hole and wobbling about as the ship moves?'
'I can, but I can't imagine your imagining it' ...

The sources of this week's extracts (May 2nd to 8th) are as follows:

1.  (...They have no law. They are outcaste. They have no speech of their own but use the stolen words which they overhear when they listen, and peep, and wait up above...)  This is from "Kaa's Hunting" in The Jungle Book.

2.  (...In a raucous voice he cried aloud little matters, like the hope of Honour and the dream of Glory...)   This is from "The Flag of their Country" in Stalky & Co.

3.  (...'Tell them' he cried, 'that if a hair of any one of their heads is touched by any official on any account whatever, all England shall ring with it...)  This is from "Little Foxes" in Actions and Reactions.

Good wishes to all, John R