Anne's mistake had an interesting response. Like Elliott and Duncan I've
often felt it would be good if this list rec'd all those news-mails, as
they inform about s'ware development and relevant current activities and
events that otherwise we won't know of - and keeping up with an overview
of qual software development is part of what this list does.

Many of the software developers have an email news-mail every month or
so - highly important to keep in touch with users. (QSR does one no more
than once a month, summarizing the news in its most recent newsletter,
which is up on the website.)

The problem isn't, surely, that these news-mails promote that
developer's software and services. Of course they are restricted to that
software - their audience is its users. This list is surely able to
interpret such material appropriately.  However taking such mails might
count as spamming (email newsletters legally can go only to those who
have asked to receive them, and must carry an offer to unsubscribe) and
whether or not it was legal, it might mean too much newsletter-traffic,
and lose this list subscribers.

An alternative would be for the list to approve that when developers
have a new newsletter they post it on their sites and mail the URL to
this list, so listmembers can go read it if they wish.

Ann, Christina, do you want to rule from CAQDAS?

cheers,
Lyn

Lyn Richards,
Director, Research Services, QSR.
(Email) [log in to unmask]
(Ph) +61 (03) 9840-1100. (Fax) +61 (03) 9840-1500
(Snail) Second floor, 651 Doncaster Rd.,
Doncaster, Vic 3108, Australia.
http://www.qsrinternational.com