Hi Linda,

I have just purchased an Olympus DM-1 DSS & MP3 PLAYER - I decided to go
with this as it was much cheaper, but has more memory (so a longer
recording time).  I've only just started using this for interviews.  I
have an external microphone, and so far the sound quality has been very
good.  It also works with an Olympus universal footswitch - making for
happy transcribing.  We have had a few glitches getting the footswitch
to work, but this might have nothing to do with the footswitch, and more
to do with a problem on the computer we are setting it up on.  The
digital files are quite large, and even with zipping are probably quite
a challenge for most email systems - although I'm sure writing to a cd
would work well to overcome this.

I'm enjoying having the files in a digital format so far - they are easy
to back up, I have a copy and my transcriber has a copy, which means I
can easily listen back to the interviews whilst I'm working on field
notes whilst the files are being transcribed.  Being able to instantly
jump to different parts of the recording instantly has been very useful
too.  The recorder also works as a mass storage device - so very handy
for moving my Nvivo/N6 projects between computers (particularly as I
don't have a cd writer).

I haven't really found any downsides to it yet - but as I mentioned, it
is early days - I would be interested to hear if others have had any
difficulties...

Rebekah

Rebekah Pratt
Research Fellow
School of Clinical Sciences and Community Health - General Practice
The University of Edinburgh
20 West Richmond Street
Edinburgh, EH8 9DX
Tel: 0131 651 4141