Jonathan Hall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone knew offhand of evidence that Christian
Europe was aware of coffee before the sixteenth century (through
Christian-Muslim contact in Spain or through travels to N. Africa or
the Middle East).

well, the story i have is that Peter the Venereal became aware of it during
the course of his project of translating the Koran, but didn't realise what he
had until his friend, Maelmhaedhoc O'Morgair, on his way to Rome in 1139,
turned *his* friend Bernie onto it as a fine medium for diluting his Irish
whiskey a bit (and thereby lengthening the Holy Man's life by, perhaps,
decades).

not to be out done, Abelard adapted it for Calvados dilution, as well; to
which expropriation Bernie took Great Umbridge (thus, the *real* root of the
animosity between them).

documentation is difficult to come by, but i'm sure that something like this
must have been what happened.

all this will no doubt be the subject of a chapter in the forthcomming book on
_Twelfth Century Networking: How It Worked_, by one of our new list members.

best from here,

christopher

"What about the older ones [Indians] ?"

"Well, we can't seem to cure them of the idea that our Everyday Life is only
an Illusion, behind which is the Reality of Dreams"

--Werner Herzog's "Fitzcarraldo"
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0083946

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]