-----Original Message-----
From: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Bill East
Sent: 7. maí 2004 13:06
To: Cormack, Margaret Jean
Subject: Re: teaching medieval religion

 > A number of members of this list are clearly practising Catholics -
> how
> difficult is it to achieve objectivity when teaching the development
> and history of
> Catholocism?

I don't know that I've ever managed to be truly objective; but then,
looking back on my education, I can think of very few subjects that I
have been taught by truly objective teachers. Certainly not history;
all my history teachers have had some definite point of view, whether
for example Charles I or Cromwell was a Good Thing. Certainly not
English; my teachers have had decided opinions about whether or not,
for example, Milton was a great poet. And I don't think this much
mattered, so long as I was given the space to think the matter through
for myself and take a different approach if I saw fit.  I would try to
extend the same courtesy to students of religion, without pretending to
be personally neutral. After all, no person of even moderate
intelligence would suppose that a Catholic priest would have no
opinions about religious matters.

Bill.

=====

to: [log in to unmask]