>Hi, Jim:

After a bit of further questing, I confess that I find Jean de
Montfort a mystery.  He's included in the Benedictine *Book of
Saints*, the online Oekumenisches Heiligenlexikon, and the online
Patron Saints Index as a Templar, wounded in battle, who went to
Cyprus to die in c. 1177.  None of which give sources.  But what I
find confusing is why all three compilations should  label him  "of
Montfort."  Two collections say he was from Austria, the third says
he was born near Lake Constance..  That's all the further I can get.
Perhaps two cults on Cyprus of two different guys named John, somehow
conflated in the mind of some hagiologist?

Phyllis

--
Dr. Phyllis G. Jestice
History Department