 --- "Rochelle I. Altman" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >
medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture

Is there any need to perpetuate
> the
> non-existant concept of "feet" as "a euphemism for private parts"
> concocted
> by much later delicate sensibilities.

I quote from the commentary of Otto Kaiser (Professor of Old Testament
at the University of Marburg):

"The seraphim reverently conceal their faces and private parts with
their wings."

A footnote explains:

"Cf Ex. 4.25 and Isa. 7.20. In both passages, 'feet' is used as a
euphemism for the genitals."

Bill.

=====

to: [log in to unmask]