Preface (3)

THE PROTOCOL. This is the term Ward and Johnson apply to the opening
formula of the Preface. In its full form it runs as follows:

Vere dignum et iustum est, aequum et salutare,
nos tibi semper et ubique gratias agere:
Domine, sancte Pater, omnipotens aeterne Deus:
per Christum Dominum nostrum.

The full form is not always used. Rarely only the first, or first and
second lines are used, and are followed with other material. The last
line, 'through Christ our Lord' tends to be used when the embolism
which follows says something about Christ - that he died on the cross,
for example, or rose from the dead, or showed great humility in taking
human flesh. In this case the embolism will begin with the relative
pronoun, 'Qui', referring back to Christ. If the embolism refers rather
to the activity of God the Father - for example, in creation - then the
relative pronoun may still be used, but will refer to God the Father.

'Vere dignum et iustum est' refers back to the the last line of the
preceding dialogue: 'Dignum et iustum est.' 'aequum' means 'fair,
right, equitable, reasonable.' 'Salutare' means 'beneficial, healthful,
making for our salvation.' It is interesting that Cranmer, in writing
the Anglican Book of Common Prayer, chose not to translate 'salutare'
but rendered the line: 'It is very meet, right, and our bounden duty.'
He would not have it that offering the Mass (or any other human action)
could in any way advance our salvation. In celebrating the Eucharist,
we were simply obeying Christ's commandment, and so instead of calling
it 'salutary' he called it 'our bounden duty.' In more recent
revisions, the Church of England, wishing no doubt to take the edge off
the severity of Cranmer's language, rendered it: 'It is indeed right,
it is our duty and our joy.' This still falls short of saying that it
helps us on the way to salvation. Contrast a sentence from the modern
Roman Third Eucharistic Prayer: 'Lord, may this sacrifice, which has
made our peace with you, advance the peace and salvation of all the
world.'

I mention these things, not to be controversial or denominational, but
to illustrate that even a single word in these texts can be charged
with meaning which, depending on one's point of view, may be considered
either essential or anathema.

Bill.

=====

to: [log in to unmask]