 --- Marjorie Greene <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >
medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> Unless I have my Mass parts all mixed up, one of the prefaces
> contains the grotesque phrase: "...the victim whose death has
> reconciled us to yourself."

Far be it from me to contradict so famous an authority as Marjorie
Greene, but you do have your Mass parts all mixed up. This is not from
a preface, but from the body of the Third Eucharistic Prayer, which is
not part of my remit.

If it were part of my remit, I should point out that the Latin is,
"agnoscens Hostiam, cuius voluisti immolatione placari" - more
literally, "recognising the Victim, by whose sacrifice you have willed
to be placated." The exisiting translation, as so often, takes away
God's initiative. It regularly omits phrases like "You have wished" or
"You were pleased" or "You have deigned," making it appear that these
things happened without God showing any great interest in the matter.
These things the Vatican has asked us to reform; and so we shall.

One point however: I am not seeking to plug the new translation, but to
take the opportnity to discuss parts of the Mass which are of some
antiquity, thus observing the purpose of this list: Scholarly
discussions of medieval religion and culture.  The Third Eucharistic
Prayer is a modern composition, and I had not intended to mention it,
except where it may happen to draw on ancient or medieval texts.

Bill.

=====

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]