> Augustine of Canterbury (d. 604)  Augustine was prior of Gregory the
> Great's monastery in Rome when Greg. picked him to lead a mass
> missionary effort of 40 monks to evangelize the Anglo-Saxons.  Gussie
> arrived in Kent in 597 and had considerable success, although his
> efforts were marred by his failure to establish a relationship with
> the British Christian leadership already there.  Gus and Gregory are
> venerated together as the "apostles of the English"---a very
> Romanocentric notion.

That's a rather Romophobic take on the events! The Venemous Bead
(author of the Rosary) tells us that Augustine summoned the bishops and
teachers of the neighbouring British kingdom to a conference at a place
which (in Bede's time) was still called in English 'Augustine's Oak'.
There he proceeded to urge them with brotherly admonitions, that they
should preserve catholic peace with him and undertake the joint labour
of evangelizing the heathen for the Lord's sake. After a long dispute
they were unwilling, in spite of the prayers, exhortations, and rebukes
of Augustine and his companions to give their assent, preferring their
own traditions to those in which all the churches throughout the world
agree in Christ. That was surely their failure, not Augustine's.

Bill.

=====

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]