 Whether
> Cranmer
> rejected the real presence is somewhat moot - his actual sticking
> point was
> transubstantiation.  Elizabeth I probably believed in the real
> presence, but
> not transubstantiation.

Cranmer went through several opinions during his life, reflecting
pretty accurately the opinions of those holding political power at the
time. It would appear that at the time he wrote the second prayer book,
of 1552, he had rejected any kind of presence at all in the consecrated
elements. He appears to have been in a minority of one on this issue.
The first prayer book of Elizabeth modified the 1552 book, insisting
for example that any of the consecrated elements left over after
Communion must be reverently consumed, not tossed away - as was
permitted by the previous book. And many other small but significant
changes were made, strengthening the notion of a real presence of
Christ.

Bill.

=====

to: [log in to unmask]