Dear Phyllis & all,

My own guess would be that the medieval French saint Jean de Montfort
was probably 'appropriated' during the later middle ages by the
German/Austrian counts of Montfort as one of theirs. However, the
following articles -- which I myself have not read -- will probably
shed some light on these question:

Walter P. Liesching, Der 'Heilige' Johannes von Montfort - Patron des
Grafenhauses Montfort-Tettnang, In: Die Montforter, Bregenz 1982 (=
Ausstellungskatalog des Vorarlberger Landesmuseums, 103), p.106s.

Karl Heinz Burmeister, Der heilige Johannes von Montfort, in id., Die
Grafen von Montfort. Geschichte, Recht, Kultur. Festgabe zum 60.
Geburtstag von Karl Heinz Burmeister, herausgegeben von Alois
Niedersta"tter (Forschungen zur Geschichte Vorarlbergs NF 2), Konstanz:
Universit"tsverlag, 1996, p.117s.

Kind regards, Otfried

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]