 --- Jim Bugslag <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > medieval-religion:
Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
> culture
>
> Dear Kit,
> I did quite a bit of work on this for my MA thesis.  There were many
> Benedictine
> monasteries in England with parishes attached to them.

And still are. The current Benedictine Year Book lists 32 parishes
staffed by Benedictine monks and another 37 without resident priests,
served directly from Benedictine monasteries. The historical background
to this is that, following the dissolution, the monasteries re-formed
on the continent and made it their responsibility to send priests for
the English mission. When it became safe for the monasteries to return
to England - i.e. about the time of the French Revolution, when it was
at least safer to be a monk in England than in France, and many French
monks also fled to England - they inherited a network of parishes built
up over the previous two hundred years.

Bill.

=====

to: [log in to unmask]