[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
That leaves Abelard, then.

Bill.
I am sorry, but Abelard was by no means better, at least in his wild days. During an audience of king Philip I of France, he offended a Jew with harsh words:

"Ideoque in synagogas vestras nunquam fulmina cadunt, quia nec in cloacas unquam ea cecidisse vel vidit quispiam vel audivit … "

For the whole anecdote, reported by Gerald of Wales (Latin/German), see:

http://www.abaelard.de/abaelard/060032geraldvonwales.htm

Kind regards

Werner Robl

PS: A little note to Christopher: Irish whiskey for Bernard, yes. In this case: A fine (Malachian) blend of Armagh. But Calvados for A? I doubt a little bit, because Abelard has never been in Normandy. Armagnac and Grappa must be sorted out, too, for the same reason. At least, the Peripateticus had some contacts with English people, like John of Salisbury, so imported or even smuggled English whisky is possible. But I confess: It'is much easier to define Abelard's wine list ...