----- Original Message -----
From: "Edwin Hewitt" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 6:43 AM
Subject: Re: [M-R] Atonement (1)

> Fr. Ambrose wrote:
> > Dear Elastic Doctor,  I have to differ.  The Atonement has no place in
the doctrine of the East, and particularly in the form developed by Anselm
taught - the offering of a sacrifice (the Son) to the Father in order to
propiate the divine justice which required the punishment of the human race
as the result of Adam's sin.

> Edwin replies:
> We have had this conversation between us on another list, so I have no
particular desire to begin it again.  To sum up my position then, Atonement
and blood sacrifice is part of the heritage that the Jewish faith bequethed
to the Christian faith.  The Passover Lamb was a type which the Christ
fulfulled (hense pascha, from Greek, Passover, from Hebrew pesah).
Leviticus 16 describes the blood atonement which later became Yom Kippur.
Acts 8:25-52 clearly refer to Isaiah's Suffering Servant in Isaiah 53.  This
is reinforce in Romans 3:25, Hebrews 2:17, and other places.  This is the
enheritance of the whole Church.

> Anselm represented a view of Atonement which was representative of his
place and time, but it has been but one perspective.  The main
characteristic of Atonement is not (as "River of Fire" would lead one to
believe) the placification of a vengeful God, so much as a demonstration of
Divine justice transformed by Divine mercy.  As I read Orthodox literature,
it seems that anyone of the Orthodox who shows support for Atonement is
branded as "corrupted" by Western Theology.  Indeed, it seems that Atonement
is a concept used more for polemic argument to keep East from West, than for
any useful thing.

> Did I summarize our previous conversation adequately?

Not from my viewpoint.  Nuance it how one may, it still appears to the
Eastern Christians that the West teaches that the Father required the death
of His Son in order to satisfy the divine sense of justice and bring about
salvation.

If that it not an adequate summary of the Western view of Atonement which
has been dominant since the 11th century  or if this view does not exist at
all in Western theology,  then the East would be pleased to hear it
rejected?

I am not aware of any Orthodox patristic writings which support the
Atonement, and would be keen to have the references.

Fr Ambrose

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]