This is a widely-shared anti-Roman claim found today especially among
radical Protestants.  It originates in the Reformation-era anti-Roman
polemics.  The excavations under St. Peter's Basilica on Vatican Hill
during the 1940s have provided very strong archaeological evidence of a
cult marking his burial place (In an ancient Christian cemetery), with
an aedicule that seems to have been there already ca. 165, suggesting
the cult honoring this spot goes back long before that particular piece
of masonry was built.  I don't have at hand the bibligraphic citations
for the reports of the archeological work--there was some controversy at
the time about the quality of the reporting, but I believe there's now a
strong consensus among scholars of all persuasions about the physical
evidence that Peter was honored very early on as having been martyred at
Rome.  I do not have my bibliography at hand but could post later two or
three basic works dealing in historical theological terms with the
prinicple that Roman ecclesiastical primacy rests in fact on the early
martyrdoms of both Peter and Paul, as much as on the conventional claim
that it only emerged in 4th and 5th century argumentation from Roman
legal theory.  (Roch Kereszty and William S. Farmer have one book on
this topic.)

Dennis Martin

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/30/04 7:11 PM >>>
medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and
culture

"Legends (all much later) tell that she helped care for St.
Peter during his time in Rome..."

I found on line a newspaper or journal article disputing the fact that
Saint Peter ever was in Rome. If I can find it again, I'll send the URL.
Has any list member ever come across this idea? Or is this widely
accepted and I'm just out of the loop?
With apologies for straying from the strictly medieval,
MG

The best thing to hit the Internet in years - NetZero HiSpeed!
Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Only $14.95/ month -visit www.netzero.com to sign up today!

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]