Incidentally, this picture on the inner West wall (which isn't a doom!)
dates from the first period of the monastery (1209) and was not repainted:
http://www.rob-rah.com/Images/Serbia_pics/Studenica_04.gif (I believe the
artists were from Constantinople).

There are some other nice demonstrations of the degree of sophistication and
realism in Serbian frescoing here:
http://www.rcub.bg.ac.yu/~todorom/tutorials/rad43.html (there are even some
knives and forks in the painting of the Cana feast)

Although this has strayed somewhat from our ostensible subject....

Rob.

----------------

> i was struck by this fresco

> http://www.rob-rah.com/Images/Serbia_pics/Studenica_03.gif

> which is immediately recognizable as being too "dry" stylistically to be
> original 13th century work, yet is not nearly as sterile as the now common
> (and usually rather dreadful) "neo-Byzantine" painting i've seen.

> your note that it was "restored" in 1568 explains that --in a way.

> but it is *very* curious and unusual that the repainting would adhere so
> faithfully to the original --not just in the iconography, but in the
drapery
> style-- rather than to be repainted entirely in a mid-16th century style.

> the "restorer" has really respected the basics of the old drapery style.

> this is very different from what we usually see in the West --from the
> "palimpsest" frescoes of Sta Maria Antiqua forward-- where the style is
always
> "updated" to what is current at the moment of the repainting.

> it appears that it was very, very difficult for an artist to paint/sculpt
in a
> style not truely his own, the one in which he had been "formed".

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]