thanks for the info. i've been interested in these situations for a while.
in the dunster case, the parishioners, according to a star court petition,
stole the bell ropes so the monks couldn't ring the bells. no doubt the
parishioners responded, they are our bell ropes, we built the tower.(the
contract survives in a modern copy). i wonder in the rochester case if the
parishioners behaved more "piously" than some of their counterparts in
other parishes as church attendance was a way to aggravate the monks. in
the dunster case, the bishop tries to mediate between the two groups over
the course of a couple hundred years (obviously not the same bishop), and
the liturgy and architecture are implicated in attempts to smooth out
relations--the two groups still fight however up until the ref. when the
monks are kicked out. but your are right, there are great court cases about
this.
kit

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]