usually i believe having responsibility for the cure of souls of those
living within a specific area (this would go with the job of being a
canon). many in fact shared their church space with the parishioners, so in
effect they are both monastic churches and parish churches at the same
time. this arrangement is not terribly uncommon. there are lots of parish
churches still designated minster in the late middle ages, although whether
they still had their canons isn't clear to me--ie. Ilminster, Somerset.  In
Dorset, Sherborne Minster the canons and parishioners fought about the
arrangement. according to Leland's Itinerary someone shot a flaming arrow
into the top of the roof. the resulting fire burned the church and melted
the bells. reportedly there are flaming arrows in some of the roof bosses,
but i can't vouch for that personally. there are also churches that are
both monastic and parochial, but not minsters--ie. Dunster, in also
Somerset, had Benedictines.
Kit French
At 05:00 PM 5/21/2004 +0100, you wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Christopher Crockett wrote:
> >
> > Rob Howe <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> >> why do we call Durham a "cathedral" but York a "minster" anyway?
> >
> > who knows why the English do anything?
> >

>It's not beyond all conjecture.  It's probably a Diocese of York thing: York
>Minster and it's "sub-cathedrals" Ripon Minster, Beverley Minster and
>Southwell Minster were all colleges of secular canons which were Saxon
>foundations.  Although the word 'Minster' derives from 'monasterium', it
>seems to usually designate a collegiate rather than monastic church.
>
>John Briggs

>To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME
>to: [log in to unmask]
>To send a message to the list, address it to:
>To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion
>to: [log in to unmask]
>In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>For further information, visit our web site:
>http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]