From: "Marjorie Greene" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 2:10 PM
Subject: Re: [M-R] fight over the soul at death & particular judgment

> I would venture to say that the "decision" is made by God and the
struggles between angels and demons are flights of imagers' fancies. I
haven't run across any description or discussion of the manner in which the
decision is conveyed. (See the tympanum at Autun and the death of the Evil
Rich Man at Moissac at http://www.art-roman.net.) The beautiful prayer "In
paradisum," whose exact words I know not either in English or Latin, recited
at funerals (and by my father at my mother's deathbed) calls upon the angels
to conduct the soul of the departed into paradise. But that is the extent of
angels' function RE the deceased. The angel/demon struggle in western art is
thought to have been inspired by the weighing of souls motif in Egyptian
funerary decoration.