Would your comment concerning the difficulty in achieving objectivity when
teaching the development and history of Catholicism not apply to other
religions as well?

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, 07 May 2004 12:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] teaching medieval religion

Thanks for the interesting responses to the issue I brought up about
teaching medieval religion.  I was surprised in my class, not so much by the
ferocity of the debate, as by the problems my students had in seeing this as
an historical issue - I thought I had been teaching about medieval responses
to images/the elevation of the host / the importance of pilgrimages etc. to
students who were interested in the Middle Ages but I got the feeling that
some of them had chosen to do this course because they wanted to explore the
roots of the faith they had been following all their lives - in some cases
this was over 60 years - so I had to tread carefully.
I also wonder about how one teaches objectively when one is/is not a
Christian oneself - as Laura has suggested the neutral tone one tries to
adopt is not always perceived as such!  Nicholas Watson writing on 'Middle
English mystics' (a descriptive term he takes issue with) in the Cambridge
History of Medieval English Literature comments that 'Since mystical
theology is itself greatly concerned with what the Cloud-author calls
'discretion of spirits' . . . it has meant that the academic study of
mystical theology has never been definitively detached from its practice.'
He is thinking of English Catholic scholars such as David Knowles and Edmund
Colledge who, Watson claims, wish to 'find a place from where English
Catholics can speak to the larger Catholic world'.
A number of members of this list are clearly practising Catholics - how
difficult is it to achieve objectivity when teaching the development and
history of Catholocism?
with thanks again
Cate **********************************************************************
To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to:
[log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to:
[log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave
medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or
to contact the list's owners, write to:
[log in to unmask] For further information, visit our
web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

This message is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient please
notify us immediately. You may not copy this message or use it for any
purpose or disclose its contents to any other person or take any action
based on them.

E-Mails are susceptible to interference. UCAS and its subsidiaries, UCAS
Enterprises and UCAS Trading, accept no responsibility for information,
errors or omissions in this e-mail nor for its use or misuse nor for any act
committed or omitted in connection with this communication. If in doubt,
please verify the authenticity of the contents with the sender.

UCAS and its subsidiaries reserve the right to monitor and intercept
communications for lawful business purposes

This e-mail has been scanned for all known viruses by Peapod via the MessageLabs service.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]