Plus, the spot may have been rather less isolated in the eleventh
century.  My understanding is (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that
East Anglia was actually the most populous part of England in the centuries
just prior to the Black Death and was probably reasonably populous before then.

There may also be some prudential misdirection at work here.  We don't know
how isolated the undisclosed spot really is.

Best again,
John Dillon

At 01:19 PM 5/20/2004 -0500, chris wrote, with reference to a quote in a
Times article:
> > Julian Hunt, of English Heritage, which is overseeing the project with
>the council, said: "If it were in a cathedral, that would be
>extraordinary enough. The fact that it's in a parish church in the
>middle of such an isolated spot is quite mind-boggling."
>

>i don't think so.
>
>first of all, "parish churches" weren't independent operatons, but generally
>belonged to larger, richer institutions which, in these "Boom Years" of the
>late 11th-early 13th c. could well afford to "plow back" part of their take
>from the estates and tithes associated with the parish, especially for such a
>Good and Crucial Cause as the Indoctrination of the 1.5 Cameral minds of the
>peasantry which sustained the whole society.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]