Message
Patrick, Grainne:

Patrick said:
> However looking at the examples of use of the toolkit I got the impression that the theoretical position can soon fall into the background as people work through an approach that leads to teaching that fits with an approach that was held by the toolkit designer but not necessarily having to be held by the teacher.

This was a worry that came up in initial consultation. I think the short survey of 'toolkit' and 'help function' approaches that Grainne and Martin are carrying out will be really informative at this stage. ie. what is the real story about how such conceptual tools are used, embedded etc, how useful they are (whether it is the tool itself that changes practice or the activities such as workshops around embedding the tool, or even the activity of developing it).

A lot of people in the experts' meeting were concerned that tools of this kind are simply not used by practitioners at their desks, and the question is whether they are more likely to be used by staff developers, learning technologists, ICT champions, researchers etc as intermediaries between 'learning design', 'learning theory', and practical approaches to teaching.

Patrick also noted:
> all the details of metadata and representation that is needed for a runnable "Learning Design", one issue for me is how much these do integrate or if design tools where the result is partly throw away are valuable (like the mini activities in the first paper).

Sandy Britain and myself have been looking at whether, and how, different theoretical approaches to learning can be expressed in terms of different learning design 'use cases' or 'sequences', and concluding that there are probably only a limited number of effective mappings (and that anyway what is 'effective' within any given theoretical framework is usually highly context dependent). Also, what counts as an 'activity' (or a 'mini-activity') is highly context sensitive. Is 'read this article' an activity, a mini-activity within a larger cluster, or in fact a whole sequence of conceptual activities (scan, overview, summarise, take notes, read for comprehension etc).

I think we need to recognise and value the practice of sharing learning plans in FE, but also question how and where these plans arise (e.g. might there be a case for 'learning design' tools to support the developers of materials such as lesson plans, to ensure a good fit with a least one accepted pedagogical theory?). Also I question whether these plans are actually subject-neutral sequences that can be 'filled up' with new content for new subject areas - which is the claim for LD - or whether they are rather deeply embedded in the specific subject that is being taught. the fact of the more standardised curriculum in FE makes it economic to develop and share sequences that contain subject content, while it may be less economic to do so in HE or in the very learner-centred areas of ACL.

James Dalziel (developer of LAMS) has been arguing that what the LD specification ought to do is offer ways of orchestrating different tools, rather than simply sharing different sequences. There is a major argument at the moment over whether lesson plans, or activity sequences, or 'learning designs', make any sense without the information about their context and content for use: and if they are so context-specific then what is gained by sharing them? I think there are probably some things that can be shared as 'models' for direct re-use (Laurillard's conversational framework?) and many things that can only be shared as 'examples', that need interpretation and adaptation if they are to be useful in a new context.

Thanks,
Helen