We have to be careful to avoid making Learning Design more than it is,
and then condemning it to failure. Teaching practice always involves
some kind of lesson plan, some sequencing of activities. These "recipes"
used to be an important part of teacher training in the old days, and
can be seen as the "scripts" of the "plays" that are the lessons. I'm
concerned that describing these as "recipes" seems to suggest that they
play a minor part - with the "chemistry" of the human interaction being
the major part. While I can agree that actors' performance makes a big
difference, the structure and content of a play also has significant
value, that is interpreted differently by different performers. We've
traditionally treated lessons as "improv" plays - the teacher is told
what the lesson is supposed to be about, and then they have to develop
their own script (in advance or on the fly) and perform it, including
managing audience participation. Some are good at this, some are not.
Many would benefit from seeing others' scripts and performances, which
they can adopt and adapt. But of course their interpretation makes a
difference, as does their interaction with audience - and the audience
contributions are hugely important too. My view is that teachers have
spent too little time exchanging "scripts" and learning from each other,
focusing too much on the mystique of performance and chemistry - or dare
I say the machismo of being a "good" teacher.

Capturing learning designs can help with the sharing of experience, and
even though they are decontextualised, they can still play an important
role, while still allowing for interpretation. Finally, we should note
that the main reason for developing a specification for Learning Design
is to try and push VLEs to support a wider range of learning and
teaching activities than at present. VLEs typically embody a narrow
pedagogy (the 20% that 80% of teachers want, as one leading vendor said
to us recently); Learning Design, if implemented moves this on - and
that's all. The problems of expressing personality online, of developing
chemistry between participants, continue to be issues that require much
research and development.

Oleg

--
Oleg Liber