If anyone is interested, I have worked through this exercise myself and my findings are:

Additional Costs

Year 1

Year 2

Year 3

Total Costs from Above

208.33

233.33

308.33

Number of Eggs Produced by TWO chickens

624

624

624

Additional Average Cost per Egg

£0.3339

£0.3739

£0.4941

Food Costs s per Egg per the BBC

£0.0350

£0.0350

£0.0350

Total Average Cost per Egg

£0.3689

£0.4089

£0.5291

SWITCH to HTML format to read the table properly.

So, I demonstrate that it costs more to keep your own chickens than it does to buy from the supermarket. I also mention some of the opportunity costs.

I reveal that I can buy fresh large eggs for 10 pence each in Oxford!

Finally, I discuss the qualitative factors of keeping the chickens

Not such a silly question as you might have thought! There’s definitely a very useful half lesson here for accountants, business students and economists.

Duncan Williamson

Alright, here you are: forget the AQA, OCR and Edexcel case study analyses for a few minutes and get to grips with a couple of chickens.

If you would like to incorporate management accounting with a touch of The Good Life, the environment, GreanPeace, Friends of the Earth and the rest take a look at this page and then answer the question that follows:

Stroll down to the Chickenomics graphic that is followed by a short series of numbers and calculations.

Required: the answer provided by the BBC is wrong: suggest the correct answer. (10 marks … or for AQA, 150 marks)

Time to fly the coop and begin to sort out the web site: regular visitors be prepared for www.duncanwil.co.uk to suffer a possible short loss as I migrate from one ISP to another.

Duncan Williamson

PS forgive the dig at AQA but I couldn’t resist: I was going to develop it even further but resisted the temptation!