Dear all

We've just agreed to publish an interesting book, which will be edited by Cindy Ariel and Robert Naseef. They've received lots of contributions from the US, but none from the UK, and asked me if I would get information about it out. This list seemed the obvious place to ask whether anyone was interested in contributing. All the information is below.

Jessica

Jessica Kingsley

Jessica Kingsley Publishers Ltd

116 Pentonville Road
London N1 9JB
www.jkp.com <http://www.jkp.com/>

Essays Wanted for New Book About Autism:

Voices from the Spectrum:
Parents, People with Autism, Grandparents, Siblings, Friends, and Professionals Share Their Wisdom

Edited by Cindy N. Ariel, Ph.D. and Robert A. Naseef, Ph.D.

Cindy Ariel and Robert Naseef are proud to announce our contract with Jessica Kingsley Publishers, London ( www.jkp.com <http://www.jkp.com/> ). For this book, parents, people with autism, grandparents, siblings, friends, and professionals of various disciplines are invited to write about their experiences.  We want to hear lessons of mind and heart culled from life and professional practice.  In the essays, authors are asked to address how autism has changed your life in love and/or work, what you have learned, and what you would want others to know that would help them.  We are interested in situations from the most mild to the most severe-from classic autism to Asperger's.

Think about these questions while you are writing your essay:

What experiences would you like to share?  What do you want others to understand better about you, or about autism-this may include issues such as diagnosis, treatment options, relationships, etc.?  What were some of the turning points, if any, in your journey?  How did autism influence or even change you, your work, or your relationships with others?

Here are specific guidelines for essays:

1.  Please write an essay of about 1500 words, or less.  Add a biography of about 100 words that would follow the essay.  At the end, include your mailing address, telephone number, and Email.

2.  Please submit your essay as an attachment in Microsoft Word to an Email or paste your essay into the body of your Email.  Send to:  [log in to unmask]

3.  If you submit your essay by regular mail, please double space the text and send a disk as well.  Please send the printed copy and disk to:  Cindy Ariel, Ph.D.,  Alternative Choices, 514 South 4th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19147

4.  If you are interested in this writing opportunity, please respond with a brief e-mail indicating your intent, your name, and your relationship to autism

5.  Deadline:  all essays are to be received by August 15, 2004.

6.  Please forward this announcement to anyone you think might be interested.

Biographies:

Cindy N. Ariel, Ph.D., is a psychologist in independent practice.  She is the co-founder and director of Alternative Choices, an independent psychotherapy practice which includes a Special Families Resource Center.  The resource center provides information, referral, and guidance to families that include a member with special needs.  Dr. Ariel has extensive experience working with individuals with special needs and their families.

Robert Naseef, Ph.D., is a psychologist, author, and father of an adult child with autism.  His highly regarded book Special Children, Challenged Parents: The Struggles and Rewards of Parenting a Child with a Disability, has received international recognition. He has appeared on radio and television. Dr. Naseef's specialty is working with families of children with special needs.  He also has a special interest and expertise in the psychology of men and fatherhood

are now located at: