----Original Message Follows----
From: Andrew Conway Morris <[log in to unmask]>

>... these patients should be allowed to die with dignity and without the
>benefit of the CCU nurse/JHO/medical student bouncing up and down on their
>chest. That said, without this practice would the one or two patients who
>have been sucessfully resuscitated have survived?

--> Regardless of my belief that, if there is no significant chance for a
positive outcome, then resuscitation should stop, I am troubled by the
frequent assumption that there is any loss of "dignity" in having a team of
dedicated professionals trying to resuscitate you. Indeed, we have all
heard, as on this list, of the very occasional case who survives despite
having no real chance of doing so. And even then this does not prove we
should go on if we honestly are very confident that there is no significant
chance of success.

But if one does go on resuscitating and this is later assessed as having
been an attempt which should have been abandoned, then so be it. The
relevant team and its leader can be shown the relevant protocol applicable
to their institution, where it says they should have stopped and they will
improve their performance. Of course, most are taught on ALS and other such
courses. Both in these courses as well as in many other places, I have
failed to find protocols which clearly state when to stop. Even the advice
from learned members of this list, which I find extremely logical and
similar to my thinking, is yet to be reflected officially.

I would hesitate to be too critical with anyone who continues an honest
effort until better protocols exist. I often perform CPR - I would rather
not call it "bouncing" which, in my opinion, diminishes the dignity of the
professional!. I do perhaps also occasionally go beyond the point of most
efficient treatment (in hindsight), but not because I wish to practice - I
sometime need an extra cycle or 2 to make sure of the time to review all I
have/not done and allow for input from my team.

Many of these concepts are developing right now! Evidence is being gathered
as to the futility of certain tpes of resuscitation circumstances. But we
should not be "angry" with those who stick with their current practices
until the evidence is translated into newer ones

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger