Do you know the French version of Baudelius' name? I've never heard of any saint whose name is even close. (I just know I'm going to slap my forehead when you tell me...)
"Austregisilus of Bourges (d. 624)  How come we no longer give names
like these to our children??"
You obviously don't read birth notices in the newspaper ;-))
MG

-- Phyllis Jestice <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Today (20. May) is the feast day of:

Baudelius (2d or 3rd cent.)  Baudelius was a zealous Christian of
Orleans, martyred at Nimes.  A very popular cult of B. developed (for
no reason I can see)---more than 400 churches in France and N. Spain
were dedicated to him.

Thalelaeus of Aegae and companions (d. c. 284)  Thalelaeus was a
physician; legend tells that he treated his patients for free.  He
was martyred at Aegae in Cilicia.  The old Roman Martyrology reported
that two executioners and several spectators were converted by his
example and also executed.

Aquila of Alexandria (d. 311)  Aquila was martyred in the reign of
Maximinus Daia.  The prefect, a man named Arianus, seems to have had
a sick imagination---he had Aquila ripped apart with iron
wool-carding combs.  It's interesting to note that Arianus himself
was converted and martyred in the same persecution.

Austregisilus of Bourges (d. 624)  How come we no longer give names
like these to our children??  Austregisilus was a Frankish courtier
but, like so many, got religion and retired from court to become a
monk.  He went on to be an abbot and then bishop of his hometown of
Bourges from 612 until his death.

Ethelbert of East Anglia (d. 794)  King Ethelbert won a lot of prayer
capital thanks to the Anglo-Saxon habit of declaring all kings who
met a violent death to be saints.  He arranged to marry a daughter of
King Offa of Mercia---but the girl's mother clearly didn't want E. as
a son-in-law and arranged to have him murdered.  E's shrine was at
Hereford Cathedral until the Reformation.

Bernardino of Siena (d. 1444)  Bernardino joined the Observant
Franciscans in 1402.  He became the leading missionary preacher of
the fifteenth century, specializing in devotion to the Holy Name of
Jesus.  He spent 1438 to 1442 as vicar-general of his order.  B. was
canonized in 1450.

Columba Guardagnoli (blessed) (d. 1501)  Columba was a native of
Rieti.  She became a Dominican tertiary at Perugia, where she founded
a convent dedicated to St. Catherine.  She was a widely respected
figure, although she is said to have gotten onto Lucrezia Borgia's
"enemy list."  CG's cult was confirmed in 1627.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

The best thing to hit the Internet in years - NetZero HiSpeed!
Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Only $14.95/ month -visit www.netzero.com to sign up today!

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]