Can anyone help here please.  It seems a valid Quick programming query
to me.

Malcolm

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 23:38:37 +0100 (BST)
From: Ian Howarth <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: fortran compilers

Hi Malcolm,

I wasn't sure that this was eligible as an "official" enquiry so i've sent
it to your individual address.  I've just installed the intel fortran [95]
(ifort) compiler since i've been told, anecdotally, that it generates very
fast linux i86 code.  On trying it (on some f77 code!) i get various
errors which i suspect relate to the old g77 "no-second-underscore"
problem.  There are some ifort options that look as though they're
relevant (-nus) but don;t match no-second-underscore exactly (and don;t
get rid of the error messages.

So, i guess my query is:  do you have, or know who has, any experience
with this compiler, with a view to fixing up my makefile?

Cheers

   Ian Howarth,                   Professor of Astronomy
   Dept. Physics & Astronomy,     Tel:  (0)20-7679-2000 (switchboard)
   University College London,           (0)20-7679-3491 (direct)
   Gower Street,                        (0)20-7679-4373 (fax)
   London WC1E 6BT, UK

Mail me in plain text ONLY - my spam filter rejects HTML mail, and I will not
read unsolicited mail encoded with commercial software (i.e., MS-Word files)