Dear Andre-Yves,

My intent in passing on the information from the "Santi Beati" site was not
to endorse the latter's brief entry but rather to point you in the
direction of scholarly literature concerning the Alda celebrated at
Meaux.  "Santi Beati" entries are often derived directly from those in the
_Bibliotheca Sanctorum_ and thus often have a learned background worth
considering, even if the underlying argumentation turns out to be less than
persuasive.  In this case the entry's source is that in the _BS_ (vol. 1,
cols. 735-36; Alfonso M. Zimmermann, "Alda, vergine, santa").  Zimmermann
says that the Alda of the Proprium of Meaux, 18 October, is clearly to be
identified with Aldegonde of Maubeuge, whose translation was commemorated
there on the same day (for this commemoration at Maubeuge, cf. Carnandet's
ed. novissima of the _Acta Sanctorum_, Oct. tom. 8, p. 272, citing a "nona
lectio" for this month in the Maubeuge propers).  Before dismissing out of
hand this argument based on similarity of names and identity of dates one
might first find out whether 18 October has been correctly cited both for
the celebration of Alda at Meaux and for a translation (vel sim.) of
Aldegonde at Maubeuge.

Out of curiosity, what sustains your view that Aude (Alda) celebrated at
Paris is identical with the Alda celebrated at Meaux?

Best again,
John Dillon

At 09:28 AM 4/16/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture
>
>Thanks John.
>
>For what I know, Aldegonda, abbess of Maubeuge, whose dies natalis is on
>the 30th of January, is entirely distinct from Aude, whose dies natalis is
>on the 18th of November, as it is mentionned for exemple in the Liturgical
>Calendar for Paris c.1380, ms. Copenhaguen, Thott 146 2°, Oct.Sci Martini
>ix lec. Aude virginis Mem.*
>
>Andre-Yves
>
>*http://www.chd.dk/cals/th146cal.html

>join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to:
>[log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to:
>[log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message:
>leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report
>problems or to contact the list's owners, write to:
>[log in to unmask] For further information, visit
>our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]