"Warrington, P.F.T." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am currently researching depictions of wisdom and learning in Old English
texts of (predominantly) the tenth century.  I am finding some interesting
metaphorical images, such as wisdom 'entering' the listener's mind via the
ears and 'putting down roots' there.  Is there any (near) contemporary
iconography, I wonder, depicting similar processes?

i'm not quite sure what you're after, and this is somewhat tangential to
whatever that is, but if you have not seen this quite excellent study, it
might be of use:

C.R. Dodwell, _Anglo-Saxon gestures and the Roman stage_, Cambridge University
Press, c2000.  xvii, 171pp.

"communication" was happening on a number of levels and different ways, it
would seem.

best from here,

christopher

Christopher's Book Room