Phyllis Jestice <[log in to unmask]> wrote:medieval-religion:
Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture

Today (25. April) is the feast day of:

Mark (the evangelist) (d. c. 75) The writer of the second gospel
(earliest chronologically) has been identified with the young man who
had such an unimpressive performance when Jesus was arrested---he ran
away and got his clothes ripped off in the process (Mark 14:51-2)

Respondeo Oriens:

This is possible, but there are other explanations of this rather
puzzling passage. It is recorded only in Mark, which gives rise to the
suggestion that the young man was Mark himself; but perhaps the other
evangelists omit it simply because it is so puzzling and apparently
inconsequential.

Few New Testament scholars, I think, would agree that Mark was an
eye-witness of the events he describes; there is a whole industry of
scholarship speculating how the various pericopes (short sections of
text) were transmitted to Mark, which would become otiose if we
supposed that Mark was actually present when the events took place!

Mark may have seen in the episode a fulfilment of the prophecy of Amos
2:16, "The bravest warriors will run away naked that day". Some
scholars have poo-pooed this, but it seems to me consistent enough with
Mark's usual way of including fulfilled scripture references. He does
not usually "spell them out". If Matthew had included this passage, he
would no doubt have said, "Thus came to pass what was written by the
prophet Amos"; but this is not Mark's way.

Another possible text which has been suggested as an antecedent is
Genesis 39:12, Joseph running away leaving his tunic in the hand of
Potiphar's wife; but this seems to me rather far-fetched.

However, I speak as a mere amateur in the field of biblical exegesis;
we have Dr Bob on hand, who can perhaps be encouraged to give us a more
scientific account of the passage.

Dr Bill.

=====

to: [log in to unmask]