From: "Janelle Werner" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Nancy Caciola" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 12:36 PM
Subject: elusive quotations

Fellow medievalists,
I'm trying to find the origins of a few quotations, and I'm hoping they
might be familiar to you. For most, I have the author, and I just need a
source (preferably English-language, and a secondary source would be just
fine). For others, I don't even have an author. I'd appreciate leads on any
or all!

Thanks,
Janelle Werner

"The archbishopric of Reims would be a good thing if only one didn't have to
sing Mass because of it." Attributed to Archbishop Manasses of Reims, 11th
century.

"They devoted themselves to all kinds of debauchery and allowed their
womenfolk to spend whole nights at wild parties; they mixed with trashy
people and drank the most delicious wines." A cleric describing crusaders,
12th century.

"It's no wonder that the Christians suffer losses from Saracens, rats, and
locusts, when they neglect to pay their church dues properly." Another
cleric, also C12, on why the Crusaders were losing ground.

"A doleful cup of bitterness." Pope Nicholas  IV, describing the fall of
Acre in 1291.

On the crusading orders: "going in war to fight, and returning in peace to
rest and pray, so that they behave like knights in battle and like monks in
cloister." I thought this was Bernard of Clairvaux, "In praise of the new
militia," but I couldn't find it there.

On Louis VII of France: "a very Christian king, if somewhat simple-minded."
I've no clue on this one.

"Plato and Socrates may often contend, / And all the breath within their
bodies spend, / Engaged in disputations without end. / What's that to me? /
For only with a pure and simple mind / Can one the narrow path to heaven
find, / And greet the King; while lingers far behind, / Philosophy." I
thought this was Jacapone da Todi, but perhaps it's another Franciscan.

And, lastly, "There is nothing better for us than to follow the teachings of
the Apostles and the Gospels. We must follow these precepts instead of
inventing new ones or propounding new doctrine or vainly seeking to increase
our own fame by the discovery of newfangled ideas." Alcuin.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]