All I could think of was the (generic) image of the man with foliage sprouting from his mouth, a kind of reverse version of what you describe below. I searched in vain on one of my favorite websites, art-roman.net, but didn't have time to examine every church listed. If this is any help, perhaps one of the other listmembers might get you info on the "foliage-sprouter," sometimes aka a Green Man. In fact, there may be links between the Green Man and your query. Unfortunately that's about all I can offer.
MG

-- "Warrington, P.F.T." <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Good morning (afternoon, or evening) all,

I am currently researching depictions of wisdom and learning in Old English texts of (predominantly) the tenth century.  I am finding some interesting metaphorical images, such as wisdom 'entering' the listener's mind via the ears and 'putting down roots' there.  Is there any (near) contemporary iconography, I wonder, depicting similar processes?

Thank you in advance for any information you are able to offer.

Best wishes,
Paula

P F T Warrington
Department of English
University of Leicester

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

The best thing to hit the Internet in years - NetZero HiSpeed!
Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Only $14.95/ month -visit www.netzero.com to sign up today!

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]