From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Stephanie Fulton
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 11:11 PM
Subject: Summary: Supporting EBM guidelines, pathways for your institution

cross-posted to [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]

It has been a while since my initial post but I wanted to send along a summary and have attached a Word document with more details.

To refresh your memory on the original posting:
We are starting to work with our Practice Outcomes Department and they are interested in producing evidence-based guidelines, pathways and order sets.  I have been spending some time learning about evaluation methods for different studies, etc. I'd like to hear from anyone who can provide some information in the following areas:

1.        What services is your library offering to support creation or evaluation of EBM guidelines, pathways, etc. ? (literature searches; attending meetings with clinical team; ??)
2.        Is grading of the literature or body of evidence a goal of the team?
3.        Is anyone from the library involved in rating the quality of individual articles or grading a body of evidence around a particular topic?
4.        What tools are being used to do evaluate individual articles or grade the strength of evidence or national guidelines (either by the library or by the clinical team)
5.        Are commercial products being used to support your activities? (Clineguide, InfoPOEMS, Clinical Evidence, emedicine, etc)?

I have located the following tools/resources for study evaluations and grading the strength of evidence:
AHRQ report #47 Systems to Rate the Strength of  Scientific Evidence
Users' Guide series from JAMA
Critical Appraisal Programme (CASP)

Summary of 14 responses as of 4/28/04

Six sites sent detailed responses to what they are currently doing
Three indicated they are starting some sort of EBM project
Two sent a links to websites for resources
One vendor replied
One described internal medicine clerkship Informatics rotation
One sent article information

THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to let me know what you are doing and being responsive to follow up questions.

Resources mentioned in responses (order not relevant):
1.        MEDLINE
2.        EMBASE
3.        CINAHL
4.        British Nursing Index
5.        PsycINFO
6.        Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
7.        ACP Pier
8.        InfoPOEMS
9.        ECRI Directory
10.        Clinical Evidence
11.        DiseaseDX (Thomson)
12.        Bandolier
13.        FIRSTConsult (Elsevier)
14.        National Guideline Clearinghouse
15.        Minervation ltd
16.        Cat Maker
17.        healthweb.org
18.        http://www.geocities.com/nqiya/libraryarticles.html
19.        http://www.uic.edu/depts/lib/lhsp/resources/ebm.shtml

Book recommendations from current library working on guideline creation:
"The book that I have found most helpful is: Greenhalgh T, Donald A:
Evidence based health care workbook: Understanding research: For
individual and group learning.  London: BMJ Books, 2000.  It literally
walks you through how to grade papers (but practice makes perfect - and
it's quite an art).

Some of our other favorite books include:
Greenhalgh T: How to read a paper.  London: BMJ Books, 2 ed., 29091

McKibbon A et al: PDQ Evidence-based principles and practice.  Hamilton
ON: Decker, 1999 - this was the most useful for our search strategy

Muir Gray JA: Evidence-based healthcare: How to make health policy and
management decisions. 2 ed. Edinburgh: Churchill-Livingstone,  2001 (my
favorite overview)

Gehlbach SH: Interpreting the medical literature. 4 ed. New York:
McGraw-Hill,, 2002

Evidence based health care workbook: Understanding research: For
individual and group learning.  London: BMJ Books, 2000.  It literally
walks you through how to grade papers (but practice makes perfect - and
it's quite an art)."

Specific Grading / Evaluation Tools Mentioned:
SIGN (twice)
USPSTF
American Heart Association REF: Cummins RO, Hazinski MF, Kerber RE et al. Low-energy biphasic waveform defibrillation: evidence-based review applied to
emergency cardiovascular care guidelines. Circulation 1998; 97:1654-1667.

Update on M. D Anderson
The library has been invited to participate in the updating of pathways related to neutropenic fever. Our first meeting is next week where we have
been asked to give a brief overview of EBP and provide search results for this topic. The pharmacy group has produced EB pathways and has graded the literature using the Oxford system so I am
looking forward to hear about their work-flow.

We have also been participating in weekly clinical and operational meetings for a new heart success program. As noted by one of the respondents, attending the meetings held
by the clinical teams is an enormous benefit for the team.

We are looking for a EBP conference to attend with participants from the library, practice outcomes, and clinical staff.

I have attached a Word document with the details for those interested. For the most part I have eliminated names and institutions but if you find one of interest I am happy to forward
your requests for more information. If you have any trouble opening the attachment I am happy to email you the text of the document.

Thanks again.
Stephanie

Stephanie Fulton
Assistant Library Director
University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Research Medical Library
Y2.6005
p 713-563-1722
f 713-797-6513