        From: e-learning and Pedagogy Experts Group on behalf of Sarah Knight
        Sent: Thu 01/04/2004 17:42
        To: [log in to unmask]
        Subject: FW: Feedback from the experts' meeting

        Posted on behalf of Helen Beetham:

        Dear colleagues

        Attached is a slightly amended version of the feedback that Sarah put on the web site earlier in the week, incorporating resopnses to the questionnaire we circulated at the LTSN conference. I've ordered responses to try and help make sense of them.

        Reading through this version, I am struck by an apparent contradiction. On the one hand, there is a call for outcomes to be 'bite-sized', 'accessible', easy to use, readily and quickly incorporated into existing practice (especially tips and toolkits). But on the other hand there is some suspicion of toolkits, 'ready' answers and customised or personalised solutions where the 'thinking' seems to have been done for the practitioner by a designer or expert system. There is also a sense of really valuing contact with more expert practitioners, e.g. mentors, developers and collegues, and the 'rich' representations or stories that they have to tell. This ties in with findings of a survey I did a couple of years ago, where practitioners (especially those starting out with learning technologies) expressed a desire for a 'database of tips and tricks' that would magically 'come up with the answer' for their particular situation, in terms of appropriate technologies and approaches. However, when I asked about what had *actually* had an impact on their choices about use of e-learning they invariably cited a colleague or mentor who had shown them 'the real thing', along with a descriptive narrative about their experience - 'what happened, what went wrong, how they survived'.

        Is this a case of different people wanting different things? Of the same people wanting different things at different points in their development? Or of people not really knowing what they want?? ;-)

        Helen

This message has been sent to you via NSC (Newark & Sherwood College). Confidential and solely for use of the addressee. Author's contents may not represent NSC. NSC accepts no liability for contents in, or virus damage from, this message. Please notify [log in to unmask] if you believe you have received this message in error.