Hi

I am a p/t community project coordinator and p/t research degree student
looking at constructions of disability from a discursive psychology
perspective.  As part of a lit review I want to make reference to the
rise and fall of UK workhouses as well as other long term/stay
institutions and how/why disabled people were exposed to them.  Can
anyone suggest a reference or link to such information?.

I found C.Barnes' 2002 'introduction: disability, policy and politics'
useful for outlining recent legislation and disability activism but am
looking for information about institutions, paritcually prior to WWII.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions

stephen lee hodgkins
dito - disability information training opportunity
resource centre
40-50 Southern Grove
London E3 4PX
mob/sms - 07951 050153