Andr--Yves Bourg-s <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I agree with you, Christopher : at that time, Chartres isn't a "family
name", but rather a geographical one.

yes, though i've never really understood at what point we can safely say that
the former was true, for any given fellow.

i suppose when we have an "X de Chartres" who wasn't even born in and never
went to Chartres.

as when we have an "Y the Black", son of "X the Black" who had red hair.

but, it's kinda difficult to know when that might be the case.

>  As Hardouin was in charge of schools in Fougères around 1070-1080, I was
asking myself if the name "de Chartres" could be an indication about the
"cursus" of Hardouin, i.e. that Hardouin, before coming (back ?) to Fougères
was a student or/and  a magister in episcopal scolae of Chartres ?

ahh, i'd forgotten you had that _scholasticus_ (is that the word used?) of
Fougères link.

well, first off, you want to look in l'abbé Clerval's classic _Les Ecoles de
Chartres_ for this Harduin.

i've come to the conclusion that virtually *no*one who could *possibly* be
connected to Chartres and its schools escaped Clerval's fine net.

which is not to say that Clerval can be trusted in all things, of course (see
Richard Southern's critique of his work) ;

but if your H. de C., scholasticus Fougères  appears in any printed source
which Clerval had access to, i'd bet Dollar$ to Donut$ that he's in Clerval's
book.

curious story re Clerval's reliability :

a "Bouchard du Puiset" appears in a later 12th c. charter, among other members
of the LePuiset family (Viscounts of Chartre).

my memory is dim, but in the *printed* version of the witness list of the
charter he appears to be a Chancellor and to have a son, "Bouchardus
cancellarius et X filius eius" --or something like that.

there is, i believe, one other appearance of a Chancellor named Bouchard, and
he is a Chancellor in the chapter of the cathedral, about the same time
(1160s?).

for the pious Clerval, of course, it would be a great scandale for *that*
Chancellor to also have been a Daddy, so, when discussing the Bouchard who
appears in the charter, he ventures the opinion that there were *two*
Bouchards, one a Chancellor of the Chapter and another a "Chancellor of the
Count" --with no documentation offered for the existence of the latter,
naturally, just with the assurance that only such a "secular" Chancellor could
have had a child, while that would not have been possible for a Chancellor of
St. Mary's.

it turns out that the original charter survives and, if one controls the
published version of it against that one, one finds that the editor made a
transcription error, the original text clearly reading [in Latin], "N du
Puiset, et Bouchard chancellor, et X fil**ii* eius".

i.e., Bouchard was the younger son of X.

i must have proofread a couple of hundred charters in the Chartres archives
against their published versions, and that is about the only really
significant mistake i ever came across.

but, Clerval had another solution to this little paternity problem.

>There was a strong link between Breton people (from Rennes and Dol
territories) and Our Lady of Chartres

yes, there are quite a few folks in the Chartres charters with the cognomen
"brito" and some some placenames which might be referring to a Briton
population (Andre Chedville talks about them a bit in his exhaustive --though
not completely reliable-- _Chartres et ses Campagnes_).

>especially after Berthe of Blois married duke Alan of Brittany, and until the
death of Berthe in 1085.

i've never looked into the "geopolitical" aspect of things, just kept my nose
buried in the "grass roots".

best from here,

christopher

Christopher Crockett