perhaps someone on this larnéd list can help me re-find a passage in one of
Alan of Lille's writings which i came across ("by accident", as they say) some
decades ago.

i have, somewhere, an ancient Hard Copy on a large, yellow (and no doubt by
now, yellowing) index card --it's in my files, i know, because i never, ever
throw anything away.

which is why i have little hope of finding it.

however, the virtual copy of the passage has been safely preserved in my
Neuronic Memory Banks, where it has been constantly re-accessed many times
over the years, no doubt thus obliterating any relationship to the original
text which it may once have had.

in any event, that memory has it that Alan gives a lengthy, very detailed
description of some sort of elaborate "chariot" or cart/wagon, which was
wonderfully decorated with all sorts of fine and elaborate ornamental artwork
--down to details about the allegorical figures on the reins of the horses,
for example.

as i recall, he mentions, somewhere in this description, that "the artisan
first conceived the figures in his mind, then executed them in the fine
material" --or words to that effect.  that's the part i'm interested in
revisiting in precise detail.

does anyone have an idea as to which one of Alan's works this sort of thing
might have been in, so that i can try and run it down again from scratch ?

all help appreciated.

best from here,

christopher

"What about the older ones [Indians] ?"

"Well, we can't seem to cure them of the idea that our Everyday Life is only
an Illusion, behind which is the Reality of Dreams"

--Werner Herzog's "Fitzcarraldo"
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0083946

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]