With regard to Glastonbury, you might try James Carley, Glastonbury Abbey
(with additional subtitle).  I'm sure that he must go into the "Thorn of
Glastonbury" tradition, given his wide interests in things re: Glastonbury
traditions, etc.

best

Grover Zinn

--On Monday, March 15, 2004 2:56 PM +0000 Johan Bergstrom-Allen
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Paul,
>
> You might consider the folk-lore surrounding the "Thorn of Glastonbury",
> a hawthorn which supposedly grew from the staff of Joseph of Arimathea
> and which blooms around Christmas time apparently. I'm not sure when
> this legend dates back to, or where to advise you to look for
> bibliography, but perhaps others can help on this. Of course today
> Glastonbury - with its growth of 'occult' shops - strikes many Christian
> pilgrims as both a saintly and sinister place! Best wishes,
>
> Johan
>
> ---
> Mr. Johan Bergström-Allen
> Flat 2, 74 Walmgate,
> York, YO1 9TL, U.K.
> E-mail: [log in to unmask]

Grover A. Zinn
Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences
William H. Danforth Professor of Religion
101 Cox Building
70 N. Professor Street
Oberlin College
Oberlin, OH 44074