If you are talking specifically about the "Parson's Tale" you will need more
than the "Riverside" Chaucer.  The Parson's Tale has been the least studied and
most frequently brushed aside of Chaucer's tales.  It is often brushed aside as
a sermon on the seven deadly sins.  It deserves more attention than this. It is
in reality a sermon about repentance.  According to the famous 19th century
scholar W. W. Skeat it is little else than an adaptation of a French treatise
by Frere Lorens, entitled La Somme des Vices et de Vertus, written in 1279.  I
don't think a modern version of this work was ever printed, but it was
translated into English some time before Chaucer. But what do we know about
Frere Lorens?  I'm sorry; I know nothing--here is research which needs to be
done.

Skeat also states that it is clear that the sermon once stood apart as a
separate work.

There are a whole host of other unanswered questions as well.  The position of
the sermon within the whole work is best described as penultimate.  Chaucer's
"Retraction," should be seen as the ultimate, the final chaper.  We know that
Chaucer was influenced by the ROMANCE OF THE ROSE.  Look at the sermon by the
character "Genius" in the ROMANCE OF THE ROSE and also the sermon by the
character "Genius" in Alan of Lille's PLAINT OF NATURE which influenced the
ROMANCE OF THE ROSE.  Both have the penultimate position as does the Parson's
Tale.  Did these influence the placement of the "Parson's Tale."?  Perhaps.

Also the Lollard/Wycliffe question must be considered in the light of this
sermon and vice versa.  Periodically someone will want to demonstrate that
Chaucer was associated with the Lollard or Wycliffe movement or both.  His
protector, John of Gaunt, has been seen as a Lollard sympathizer.  There is
also a hint in the narative where one of the other travelers suggests that the
parson sounds like a Lollard.  Was one of the sources of the sermon, Wycliffe
or Lollard doctrine?  Perhaps.  Is there a difference between Wycliffe and the
Lollards?  I'm not sure.

John Gower must also be mentioned.  Chaucer and he knew each other.  Did Gower
influence Chaucer?  Check out the Confessio Amantis.  What do you think?

There is fertile ground here for study.  If you can answer any of my questions I
would be grateful.

V. K. Inman
University of Pennsylvania

Quoting Cursor Mundi <[log in to unmask]>:

> Greetings
>
> I am interested if any texts have been identified as having influenced
> Chaucer in the writing of 'The Parson's Tale'. The work seems to be
> distinctly separate from the rest of 'the Canterbury Tales'. It reminds me
> more of  'Pricke of Conscience' or 'Cursor Mundi' . Ideas welcome.
>
> Thank you.

>   Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today!
> Download Messenger Now

> to: [log in to unmask]
> to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]