John of Vallombrosa (d. c. 1380)  The subject of an unconfirmed cult, John was a native of Florence who became a Vallombrosan monk in that city.  His story tells that John started dabbling in black magic, got thoroughly depraved, was caught, and was imprisoned.  Then he became an ultra-penitent, refusing to leave his cell when his brethren not only released him but begged him to come out.

If anyone is interested in the story of another monk who refused to leave his cell, contact me off-list. It is not suitable for inclusion on this list, but may perhaps be of interest to some members.

Bill.

Yahoo! Messenger - Communicate instantly..."Ping" your friends today! Download Messenger Now ********************************************************************** To join the list, send the message: join medieval-religion YOUR NAME to: [log in to unmask] To send a message to the list, address it to: [log in to unmask] To leave the list, send the message: leave medieval-religion to: [log in to unmask] In order to report problems or to contact the list's owners, write to: [log in to unmask] For further information, visit our web site: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/medieval-religion.html