Happy St David's day to you all.

Apropos of Dewi Sant:

`Unfortunately some modern cynic has recently proven (I don't know how) that
the relics kept there aren't actually David's'.

- Radiocarbon dating, I fear, and it appears that the reliquary in fact
contains the bones of several individuals. The present Dean of St Davids is
a fine archaeologist; I quote from an article by him:

        `David was internationally famous in the Middle Ages. Pope Calixtus II
(Pope from 1119 to 24) decreed that one pilgrimage to St Davids was equal to
two to Rome. A vast income was raised by visiting pilgrims ... Early
mediaeval Welsh Christians had little interest in the bones of the dead and
David's grave was not recorded. In 1275, John de Gamages, an Abbot based 60
miles from here, dreamt about the resting place of St David and following
his instructions a body was found in the cathedral grounds. It was placed in
a new shrine in 1275. King Edward I was one of the first to visit and make
an offering.

        `The prosperity of St Davids continued with a steady traffic of visitors
until the sixteenth century. The Dean said: "In 1538, Protestant William
Barlow was appointed bishop at St Davids. He wanted to shut down the
cathedral and confiscated the reliquaries. As far as we know, they were all
destroyed. In the nineteenth Century some bones were found walled up in a
recess at the back of the High Altar and they were later believed to be
those of St. David. I had these carbon dated and it was revealed they are
actually from the twelfth, thirteenth and fourteenth centuries. It would
appear that no relics have survived.'

_____________________

In the Welsh-language life of St David, a text recorded in the Book of the
Anchorite of Llanddewibrefi (compiled c. 1350), the redactor adds the
following to Rhygyfarch's *Vita*:

`Arglwydi, vrodyr a chwioryd, bydwch lawen a chedwch ych ffyd a'ch [c]red, a
gwnewch y petheu bychein a glywysawch ac a welsawch gennyf fi.'

[`Lords, brothers and sisters, be joyful and maintain your faith and the
integrity of your belief [/creed], and do the little things which you heard
from me and saw me do.'

Yours,

Paul