Dear Martin,

Thanks very much for your response.  For particulars, see below.

At 05:33 PM 3/30/2004 -03-30, you wrote:
>         Minerve gets a mention in P. Sebillot, _Traditions et
>Superstitions de la Haute-Bretagne_, Paris, 1882, p. 333:
>
>         "En beaucoup de pays de France, des divinites paiennes ont ete
>transformees en saints, et assez souvent le nom lui-meme est conserve:
>Minerve est devenue sainte Minerve, vierge et martyre, dans un pays appele
>le Minervois (Aude, cf. Babou, _Les paiens innocents_)." I do not have
>access to the Babou title, which may have more detail on this figure.

Nor do I.  But I do have access to sources informing me that the work in
question is Hippolyte Babou's _Les payens innocents, nouvelles_ (Paris:
Poulet-Malassis et de Broise, 1858 and 1862; nouvelle ed., with spelling
"paiens", Paris: Charpentier, 1878) and wonder therefore about the
scholarly value of any historical data on this question offered by this
collection of short stories.  I also wonder about the accuracy of
Sebillot's assertion vis-a-vis a "sainte Minerve," given that two French
encyclopedias giving information on the Minervois (which is in Herault as
well as Aude) tell me, apart from the toponym's apparent derivation from
'Minerva'/'Minerba', only that there was a fifth-century Christian church
here with a surviving altar honoring St. Rusticus of Narbonne.  One of
these articles (late 19th-century) considers speculative any local worship
of Minerva, whereas the other (from the 1960s and quite brief) says that
the Christian church replaced a _pagan_ temple of Minerva; though that too
could be speculative, it's always possible that such a temple of Minerva
has now been positively identified at this site.

>  Both
>Mackillop (_Dictionary of Celtic Mythology_, Oxford, 1998, p.293) and
>Merceron (_Dictionnaire des saints imaginaires et Facetieux_, Paris, 2002,
>p. 912) note that the cult of Minerva became widely  conflated with the
>cult of
>the British healing goddess Sulis, notably at Bath (Aquae Sulis) but on
>the continent, too.

That Sulis, whose Roman-period identification as Minerva Sulis is well
known, had a cult on the continent was news to me.  It may also be news to
MacKillop, as his article says nothing about this.  It speaks first of
Gaulish Minerva (noting that she's also attested in Britain) and then of
the British healing goddess Sulis but does not identify the two.

>  It may therefore be that her survival in saintly guise
>is connected with her status as a 'sainte des eaux guerisseuses'.

Or not.  While I don't think it unlikely that some early Christians may
have transformed Minerva into a local saint, I would like to see that
established before going on to speculate on this particular
connection.  And I would think it unlikely that such a local transformation
would have long survived scrutiny of the institutional church, let alone
enter a liturgical calendar ancestral to the current Santi Beati reference
to a Santa Minerva commemorated on 23 August.

I do note, though, that 23 August is the feast of Minervus (or Minervinus)
and of Eleazar with his eight sons, early martyrs of Lyon about whom
nothing is known.  And I wonder whether Santa Minerva is not the product of
1) a modern desire to produce a name-saint for people named Minerva and 2)
the existence of male St. Minervus commemorated on this day.

Best again,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]