[EMS-NEWS]

 CALL FOR EARSHOT NO. 5 THE JOURNAL OF THE UK & IRELAND SOUNDSCAPE
COMMUNITY

 Title: NOISE: Debates, Strategies and Methodologies

 Within the current milieu of the European Commission's noise mapping
 directive and the Greater London Authority's Ambient Noise Strategy, we
 welcome contributions from those of you that have been or are currently
 engaged in soundscape and/or noise studies within the UK and Ireland. We
are
 interested to hear about your objectives, methodologies and findings.

 Moreover we are interested in the prevailing culture and health debate
 surrounding noise abatement, and the addition of noise issues to, for
 example, the estate agent's and tourist industry's agenda.

 As the built environment often defines and/or modulates our sonic
 environment, how are issues of sound and noise design being addressed in
 architectural/urban planning practitioner's education?

 Not only would we like to hear from environmental and urban studies but
 would also encourage contributions that have explored alternative
approaches,
 such as community arts, direct action or culture jamming. Finally, we
 welcome contributions to the Members' Activities and Comments pages. The
 deadline for submissions is 30 July 2004. Submission guidelines, proposals
 and correspondence should be e-mailed to [log in to unmask]

 DISAPPEARING SOUNDMARKS CD
 We invite listeners in the UK and Ireland to submit audio recordings of
 endangered sounds that are special to you, your community or your
locality.
 For example, an endangered sound might be associated with a cultural event
 or a natural habitat that is declining or under threat.

 The recordings should not exceed 5 minutes and should be
 submitted on an audio CD. Please ensure that you hold all rights to the
material.

 Please include your name, the location of the sound, the date and time of
 the recording and accompanying notes (250 words max.) describing the
 physical environment, why it is of value to you and what are the reasons
 for the sound becoming endangered. The deadline for submissions is 30 July
2004.

 Please send submissions to:
 Earshot Submissions
 c/o Dr John Levack Drever
 Music Department, Goldsmiths College,
 University of London, New Cross, SE14 6NW, London, ENGLAND