Dear Critical Geographers,

I have been a lurker on this list for the past few years.  My interests
are in rurality and lifelong learning.  I am impressed by the political
consciousness and debate on this list so I hope that some of you can
support me and my colleagues here in the School of Continuing Education,
University of Leeds, UK who are facing the prospect of having our
department closed.  I am pasting in a briefing note and would ask anyone
who feels able to do so to write in protest to our vice chancellor (and
geographer) Professor Sir Alan Wilson, ([log in to unmask])the
dean of faculty and PVC Staffing Professor Diane Shorrocks Taylor
([log in to unmask])and the PVC for Teaching and
Learning Professor Alan Pearman ([log in to unmask])

THREAT TO ADULT EDUCATION AT THE UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS

This statement is issued jointly by the Senior Management Group and
School Advisory Committee of the School of Continuing Education,
University of Leeds.

As is well known, there is a national debate about part-timers in higher
education as well as concerns about the marketisation of universities
generally. At the University of Leeds a radical restructuring of
provision for part-time adult learners in Leeds and the region is being
proposed.  This involves the dissolution of the School of Continuing
Education, which has existed in one form or another since 1946.

The School of Continuing Education has financial difficulties and all
staff recognise these need to be resolved. But this type of creative,
diverse and far-reaching education can not be done on the cheap. Members
of the AUT and UNISON are fighting these proposals which reflect the
moves to put profit before education that are currently threatening the
sector nationally.

The School enrols thousands of adult learners each year in its
programmes, and has a wide variety of partners in the region - including
FE Colleges, the LEAs, and the voluntary sector. It provides a range of
programmes at all levels - from community outreach provision in the city
of Leeds and across the region, to credit-bearing courses in the arts,
social studies and trade union studies - as well as professional
provision at postgraduate and undergraduate levels. The crucial link
between research, teaching and lifelong learning is a strength of the
School which has a national and international reputation.

All staff in the School have a long history of providing high quality,
relevant and responsive courses for part-time, mature students. They
fear that the University's proposals will not only damage this provision
but will also alienate the University from non-traditional, but
critically important, areas of work.
ENDS

NOT FOR PUBLICATION
For further information contact the Chair of the School, Dr Malcolm
Chase

Tel 0113 343 3183
Email [log in to unmask]
closureknow that some of you ar