From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Nick Blomley
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2004 4:56 AM
Subject: class assignments/pedagogy/tyranny of grading

I'm trying to re-work one of my undergrad courses, and the age-old problem (for me) of class projects has come up. I set the conventional assignments - a term paper/essay and a final exam. While these have their uses, including teaching students to research and write, I wonder whether they're there simply because they are what is expected, and because they allow me to come up with nice numerical scores to plug into grading spread-sheets.

I wonder if people have some creative alternatives? For example, I've noticed that one of the biggest challenges that people seem to face (myself included) is defining a research project. The execution is often fairly straightforward. Could the former be an assignment? Group projects are also something I've experimented with, but while these can be productive, I know some students find them challenging.

Nick Blomley

Nicholas Blomley,
Professor,
Department of Geography,