Have just reviewed Gaile and Willmott 'American Geography at the Dawn of
the 21st century' which ahs a chpater by the Geography Education
Speciualty Group (well above the average in size according to the data in
Pandit's recent PG paper).

That gives its mission statement as

'To promote research on the lifelong development of knowldge of the world
through geography, to develop the theory and foster the practice of
teaching and learning geography in formal and informal educational
contexts; and be an advocate for geographic literacy'.

What does that exclude that you want to focus on?