Forwarded from Adrian Praetzellis

HOO-YAH!

The complete Cypress Project (West Oakland, California) historical
archaeology report is now on line at:
http://www.sonoma.edu/asc/ongoingprojects/cypress/cypresstoc.htm
and we're looking for comments.

The draft interprets some of the data from 120 refuse-filled features
dating from 1850 to about 1910 representing about 100 historically
documented households of a range of ethnic and economic/class groups.

Each chapter, essay, and sidebar is a stand-alone piece, so you won't have
to read it from start to finish. We are particularly proud of the 79
Feature Snapshots, which attempt to capture as much data as possible per
feature (as well as an artifact layout) on one page.
See the snapshots at:
http://www.sonoma.edu/asc/pdf/CypressAppendixD.pdf

We have tried to use plain English throughout.
We hope this will attract a broad readership and counter the notion that
US law actually *requires* contract archaeology reports to send readers to
sleep.

We're actively seeking your comments and suggestions. (If you got a copy
of our nifty Block Technical Reports on CD, we'd like to hear from you
about that too.)  Bear in mind that we had only 3 months to pull this
thing together so there are typos and format errors, and simply no time to
do any formal comparisons. Sorry, but there it is.

If you are willing, your evaluative comments will end up in the hands of
certain State officials who are skeptical of the value of the Cypress
project.

Please email your comments to [log in to unmask] or click on the comments icon.

Thanks a bunch.

Adrian Praetzellis
Sonoma State University
California, USA