From: "David Fryer" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Jan Bostock" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 2:33 PM
Subject: Time for a BPS Community Psychology Section?

I have been thinking about whether the time is right to consider founding a
BPS Community Psychology Section. I have expressed reservations in the past
about the appropriateness of the BPS as a vehicle for developing community
psychology in the UK but lately have come to think that it is one route
amongst many which it is worth exploring. I explored the idea with Jim
Orford, Jan Bostock and David Smail (ex JCASP colleagues) who gave some
support.

I contacted a Scientific Officer in the BPS who has been very helpful re.
BPS Visiting Fellowships for community psychologists in the past. I was
told: "A section certainly sounds appropriate and can be formed provided
that the following conditions are met (in accordance with Rule 40): You will
need support for the proposal from at least 20 Fellows or Associate Fellows
of the Society.  Once you have got the support required, the proposal is
then considered by the Research Board, and then referred to the
Representative Council for approval. If approved, at least 1% of the
Society's membership needs to indicate that they would be willing to join
the Section if formed. Once the required 1% has been achieved, the proposal
for the formation of the Section is put to a vote of the membership. If a
majority votes in favour, the Section can then be formed"

I think it would be important that the aims, processes etc. of any new BPS
Community Psychology Section were determined by its members. However there
is clearly some unavoidable bureaucracy to be got out of the way before
meaningful decisions about such things can be made by members.

I would be happy to take the lead in trying to make this happen but suggest
the formation of a 'BPS Community Psychology Steering Group' (CPSG) to which
I would be accountable and whose guidance I would seek to take during this
process, would safeguard potential members'interests. The membership of this
List Serve (and any who might join it in the futire) may be the least
unsatisfactory steering group currently available? Effectively I am
proposing to report progress and seek and follow guidance re setting up a CP
Section via and from members of this list serve. Is that acceptable.

Any reactions please?

David

For any problems or queries, contact the list moderator at